Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

So I wrote a personification poem for literature class and I thought I'd share it:

THIS OLD TOWN

The painted asphalt
Reaches its glass fingers
Skyward

The strands of land
Strive to blind the universe with
Their dazzling lights

The millions of rubber wheels
Whispering gossip all day
Creating quite cacophony

The thousands of breaths
Each minute
In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

The lumps of gray and brown,
Lean towards each other
Conspiratorially

The silver bullets
Rival each other for speed
Shooting through the dirty tunnels

This Old Town
Reaches her arms out,

Calling me home

I wrote it about the city I grew up in, NYC, also the the biggest city in the USA and home to so many cultures and people. I'm proud of my city and its wonders and marvels. I love just being in the city, walking along the crowded streets and peaceful avenues. 
Sometimes I hate it too. NYC is home to so many poor and it's dirty, industrial and gross. It has its dark sides, but half of the time I love it. Especially when I find myself wandering among the halls of the New York Public Library or MET.

4 comments:

  1. I've kind of been curious about NYC. If I ever go, I wanna go up to one of the statues, and yell at it "Daedalus plan 23; defend Manhattan!" while wearing a yankees cap and a Camp Half-Blood t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've done that, just not with the hat and shirt. Sadly, I don't think they liked me too much, as they didn't move. It would have been really scary if they had moved though. Some of those things are seriously huge. But reading PJ was quite weird picturing all those places accuratly xD

      Delete
  2. Haha! I wonder how many people have done that. Aw, well, maybe the statues got a kick out of it, despite not moving. But yeah, that would be scary. It's cool that you can actually picture them! I've got to just sort of guesstimate in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coolio poem! I've been to NYC a few times, and I do like it. Broadway shows are great and the Stardust Diner (I think) was really fun, but incredibly expensive. I don't think I could live there though because I don't do well in cities... I'm more of a rural girl with apple trees haha

    ReplyDelete