![]() |
| Hally, one my Our Generation dolls |
But today my mum was cleaning out her closet when I came up in the morning to fetch my clothes. And before Hurricane Sandy in '12, we had put our five Our Generation doll and two American Girl dolls in a big box with their clothes and other stuff and a few stuffed animals and put it in there, because we didn't want to risk anything happening to them. And we hadn't touched them since.
So today, I pulled it out and carried it down to the living room. Boy, am I glad I did. Those poor dolls and their poor hair. Most of it was braided, but even those were matted and tangled. Poor things. And they also had scratches on their cheeks from rubbing against each other. So I got on the American Girl site and looked out how to untangle girl hair and clean girl skin. And then I gathered my supplies:
- a spray bottle
- the the American Girl doll wire brush my sisters and I got one time
- baking soda
- plastic shopping bags
- washcloths
- lukewarm water
First, I undressed them and tied and bags around their bodies to protect their cloth bodies. And then I blindfolded them with scraps of clothes and then plastic on top to keep them from getting wet and rusting.
For their hair, I misted it with water and brushed. And brushed. And misted. And brushed. And brushed. Yes, I pulled quite a bit of hair. But it can't be helped. Finally, I got it somewhat unmatted and untangled.
So I put it up in simple buns and mixed baking soda and lukewarm water into a paste and applied it to the scratches with a washcloth, rubbing gently in a circular motion. It came off, thankfully.
And so I dressed them and did their hair. It was fun, to say the least. I put it up in braids and buns and dressed them in dresses and skirts and light summer shirts. They looked really cute and stared at me the whole time I was organizing their stuff and folding their clothes and putting it all back neatly in their box.
Okay. Fine. They were really creepy and a little tiny bit adorable.
After that, my sisters and I played some quizzes on the Nickelodoen website about Avatar because koRRA IS COMING OUT ON FRIDAY. CELEBRATE. Ahem. Anyway. And then we made raisin bread and pita and almond butter and honey sandwiches and sat down to watch Korra reruns. We watched the first three episodes of the first season, because they had them up on the Nick website and we're planning to watch all of the two seasons in the time we have until Friday. Just for kicks.
And then we cleaned. And cleaned. And now I'm on computer.
So that was my day. Dunno why I wrote a whole blog post 'bout it, but it was fun, so why not?

*gasps over exaggeratedly in pure excitement* YOU COLLECT DOLLS! (Sorry, that was fanatical, but I'm excited.) I LOVE doll collecting! I've got several several dolls, and I'm still gathering more. I love American Girl doll especially. (Though I don't own any My Generation dolls.)
ReplyDeleteYES! I LOVE IT TOO! And my mom loves getting them for me. ^.^ American Girl dolls are awesome and Our Generation are basically just a tiny bit cheeper version. I wish I had a Madame Alexander doll . . .
DeleteOoh, Madame Alexander dolls are gorgeous. I have a few in my collection, and they're wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI never had any American Girl dolls, but I really wanted one when I was little! Mostly I just dressed my stuffed animals in tiny clothes. xD
ReplyDeleteI never really played with Barbies, either. I dressed them a lot and rearranged their house a lot, but never really played with them.
I always wanted one and my mom loves dolls, so she finally got me Our Generation dolls as a substitute. :P Dressing stuffed animals is fun, though. My siblings and I would dress them in Barbie clothes.
DeleteI only played with them when my sister would make up these intricate plot lines and I'd just play along. But mostly it was just dressing them and setting up houses, yeah.